Kerala style Mackerel Curry Recipe (Thalassery style Thenga Aracha Meen Curry)
- 6 whole mackerels; cleaned, gutted and cut into three even sized pieces
- 1 ½ cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder (adjust according to heat preferences)
- 5 shallots/small onion; sliced
- 3 green chillies; slit lengthwise
- 1 inch ginger; julienned
- 2-3 sprigs curry leaves
- Salt, to season
- Brown tamarind (a lemon sized ball); soaked in lukewarm water
- Grind the grated coconut with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt; add enough water to get a thick coconut milk kind of consistency.
- In a large pan (preferably an earthenware vessel), pour the ground coconut mixture. Also add the shallots, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, tamarind water and season with salt.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and then simmer gently for about 5 minutes for the onions to soften.
- Then add the fish pieces and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer till the fish has cooked well.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavours develop well.
Check our new VFM combos for this week. Call 89390 00351 or WhatsApp to 9171072896 .
Call 89390 00351 or 9171072896 to place your order for fresh , live and exotic seafood till 3.00 pm for same day delivery and up to 9.30 pm for next day delivery. Delivery up to 4 pm daily.
All fishes, crabs are cleaned and ready to cook. Prawns are peeled and deveined.
Check availability of fishes Click here