Slather homemade tandoori paste over fresh mud crabs and grill it in your tandoor or oven for this deliciously spicy and flavourful dish. Packed with tons of flavour yet the easiest entrée for a crab lover!
1. 4 medium sized whole crabs
2. 1 cup hung/thick curd
3. 6 medium garlic cloves
4. 1 ½ inch ginger
5. 2 tsp garam masala
6. 3 green chillies
7. 2 tbsp coriander powder
8. 2 tsp cumin powder
9. 1 tsp chilli powder
10. 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
11. 1 tsp chaat masala
12. ¾ ths tsp turmeric powder
13. Salt, to season
14. 3 tbsp melted butter
15. Lemon wedges, to serve
16. Orange wedges, to serve
17. Fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped, for garnish
1. Clean the crabs well and lightly bruise the shell and claws for the tandoori paste to penetrate.
2. Blend the curd along with the garlic, ginger, chillies and all the spice powders to get a smooth paste.
3. Place the crabs in a bowl and add the tandoori paste. Season with salt and rub the marinade well into the crab. Keep refrigerated for at least 2 hours or longer.
4. Bring to room temperature before grilling. Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan forced).
5. Line an oven proof tray with baking paper and place the marinated crabs inside. Drizzle with half of the butter and grill for 12 minutes.
6. Baste with the remaining butter and grill for a further 5 minutes or till done.
7. Remove from oven and keep covered with a foil for 5 minutes before serving.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with lemon and orange wedges.