1. 1 whole snapper ( White or Red )
2. Salt, to season
3. 1 lemon, cut into slices
4. 2 sprigs coriander leaves; for garnish
5. 2 tbsp vegetable oil
6. 2 large red chillies
7. Spice marinade:
· 4 medium garlic cloves
· ½ inch ginger
· 1 large red chilli
· 2 sprigs coriander leaves with root
· 4 mint leaves
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 2 tsp red chilli powder
· 1 ripe tomato
· Juice of ½ lemon
· 1 tsp mixed peppercorns (use black if you don’t have mixed variety)
· 1 tsp cumin powder
1. Clean and score the snapper diagonally.
2. Blend all the ingredients given under spice marinade to a smooth paste (use water only if necessary).
3. Season the snapper with salt and apply the marinade (reserve a little for later use) all over on both sides of the fish. Make sure to rub the marinade well into the fish.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or as long as possible. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
5. Preheat the oven (grill mode) to 180°C.
6. Place the snapper in the baking tray along with 2 lemon slices and the red chillies. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil all over the fish and grill for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, turn over the fish carefully and apply the remaining marinade. Drizzle the remaining oil and grill for another 15 minutes or till done.
8. Place the grilled fish on a serving plate and garnish with the lemon wedges, coriander leaves and the grilled chillies.
9. Serve warm.
Note – If you do not have an oven, you can also shallow fry the fish.