A simple sauce made from roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic; fresh squid rings and mushrooms tossed with chilli flakes, paprika, oregano and perfectly cooked penne come together to create this delicious, full of flavour pasta dish.
1. 500 gms ripe red tomatoes; quartered
2. 1medium red onion; diced
3. 4 large garlic cloves
4. ½ tsp dried thyme
5. Salt, to season
6. Freshly milled black pepper, to season
7. 2-3 tbsp olive oil
8. 300gms fresh squid rings
9. 200 gms button mushrooms
10. 1 tsp chilli flakes
11. 1 tsp hot paprika
12. ½ tsp dried oregano
13. 250gms penne
14. 2 tbsp fresh parsley; finely chopped
15. Parmesan, grated (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan forced).
2. In a baking tray, line the tomatoes, onions and garlic. Season with thyme, salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil.
3. Roast the tomatoes for about 15 minutes or till done. Remove from oven, cool and blend; keep aside.
4. In a deep pan, heat more olive oil and add the squid rings. Cook for about 1 minute on high heat and then add the mushrooms. Cook for another minute and season with chilli flakes, paprika, oregano and salt. Sauté till the squid rings are almost done.
5. Add the roasted tomato sauce; mix well to combine and remove from heat.
6. Cook the penne in salted boiling water till al dente, drain but reserve a bit of the water in which the pasta was cooked.
7. Add the penne to the sauce and mix well to combine. Add a few spoons of the pasta water if you want to loosen the sauce; this is an optional step.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
9. Serve warm with grated parmesan.