Peperonata is a classic Italian accompaniment that can be served as part of the antipasti platter or with grilled veggies, meat or seafood. It is essentially bell peppers that are sautéed with some onions, chillies, herbs, garlic and finally flavoured with basil pesto. A simple yet incredibly delicious side that pairs extremely well with pan fried salmon.
Pan fried Salmon with Peperonata Recipe
- 4 Salmon fillets (with skin)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika (or Kashmiri chilli powder)
- ¼ cup olive oil + extra for frying the fish
- 5 red bell pepper/capsicum
- 2 white/yellow onion; finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes; sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves; finely sliced
- 1 red chilli; finely sliced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt, to season
- Freshly milled black pepper, to season
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp parsley; finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan forced).
- Marinate the fish with turmeric powder, paprika and salt; keep aside for 15-30 minutes.
- Place the bell peppers in a roasting tray, lightly brush or spray with olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove and wrap the peppers with a cloth towel; leave for 15 minutes to sweat.
- Then remove the pith and seeds and slice the bell peppers into even sized strips. (If you do not have an oven, you can roast the peppers directly on the stove)
- Heat half of the olive oil in a pan and add the onions; sauté till translucent and then add the garlic, chilli, bay leaf and oregano. Mix well to combine.
- Next add the tomatoes and bell peppers; also add the pesto and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low heat for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally till all the ingredients are softened and cooked.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and fry the salmon in batches. When frying the salmon, get the pan really hot and place skin side first. Hold the fillet down firmly using your fingertips for a few seconds to cook the skin evenly and get a delicious crispy skin. Also take care not to overcook the salmon.
- To serve, place some of the peperonata in the middle of a plate and place the pan fried salmon on top. Garnish with parsley leaves and a lemon wedge. Serve warm.
Check our new VFM combos for this week. Call 89390 00351 or WhatsApp to 9171072896 .
Call 89390 00351 or 9171072896 to place your order for fresh , live and exotic seafood till 3.00 pm for same day delivery and up to 9.30 pm for next day delivery. Delivery up to 4 pm daily.
All fishes, crabs are cleaned and ready to cook. Prawns are peeled and deveined.
Check availability of fishes Click here