Today’s dish celebrates the soft, succulent taste of the pomfret. A much loved fish across the country, pomfret is ideal for oven baking which keeps its flesh moist and soft. A marinade with virgin coconut oil, spices, aromatics and herbs are used to season the fish. Pair with a simple garden salad and dinner is sorted.
1. 2 large pomfret; clean the insides keeping the head intact
2. Salt, to season
3. Virgin coconut oil marinade:
• 1 cup virgin coconut oil
• ½ inch grated ginger
• 3 large garlic cloves; minced
• 5-6 curry leaves; finely chopped
• 2 sprigs coriander leaves; finely chopped
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp chilli flakes (adjust according to heat preferences)
• ½ tsp cumin powder
• Salt, to season
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (fan forced).
2. Score the flesh of the pomfret and season with salt; keep aside.
3. In a bowl, mix the coconut oil with the remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
4. Line a tray with baking paper and place the pomfrets inside.
5. Spread half of the marinade evenly on one side of the fish, turn over and spread the remaining.
6. Bake for 10 minutes; remove and carefully flip the fish over.
7. Continue to bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
8. Serve warm with a salad.
• If you are using a conventional oven, increase the temperature by 15°C.
• This recipe can also be used with other types of seafood.