1. 1 kg mutton (with bones)
2. 2 cinnamon stick
3. 4 green cardamom
4. 3 black cardamom
5. 1 tsp cumin / jeera
6. ½ tsp asafoetida /hing /perinkaayam
7. ½ cup mustard oil
8. ½ tsp turmeric powder
9. 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to heat preferences)
10. 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to heat preferences)
11. 1 tsp dry ginger/saunth powder
12. 2 tsp fennel/saunf/perinjeera powder
13. 5 shallots/small onion, grind to a paste without water
14. 4 tbsp curd
15. Salt, to season
16. ½ tsp caraway seeds /shahi jeera
1. Wash the mutton well and allow to drain completely in a colander.
2. Heat mustard oil to smoking hot in a deep pan or pressure cooker. Remove from heat, cool for 2-3 minutes and return to heat.
3. Add the whole spices (cinnamon, green and black cardamom and jeera); sauté on low heat for about a minute and then add the mutton pieces.
4. Increase heat and lightly fry the mutton pieces till browned well. Keep stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
5. Next, lower heat and add the shallots/onion paste and powdered spices (turmeric, red chilli, Kashmiri red chilli, dry ginger and fennel and asafoetida). Add a few drops of water and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
6. Whisk the curd well and add to the mutton; season with salt and continue to cook on low heat till the curd breaks down and oil begins to appear.
7. Add 3 cups of water and slow cook till the meat is tender and falling off the bone. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary. If using the pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and cook for 3-4 whistles depending on the quality of meat.
8. Crush the caraway seeds/shahi jeera when the dish is almost done and stir through.
• Shallots paste is optional and is added to thicken the gravy.
• If you would prefer a deeper red colour to the dish, use ratanjot/alkanet or red chilli water (few spoonfuls). To prepare the red chilli water, soak a few dry Kashmiri red chillies in warm water for an hour, then boil it, grind and sieve (can be stored in refrigerator). I have not used this step for the above recipe.
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai