Thoran is a traditional dish from Kerala that uses fresh coconut, cumin and chillies. And while vegetables and pulses are generally used to make this, the non vegetarian versions of this dish are equally delicious. Here is a recipe for mussels thoran which makes a perfect accompaniment with rice and dal.
Mussels Thoran Recipe
- 1 kg fresh mussels (with shell)
- 1/3 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
- 2 medium green chillies
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 sprigs curry leaves
- 3 small shallots; finely sliced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to season
- Wash the mussel meat thoroughly and ensure all the dirt has been removed. Add to a pan with enough water to cover the mussels. Cook till the mussels are ¾ ths done; drain the water and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut, cumin, garlic and green chillies (without any water) to get a coarse mixture.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan; add the mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Then add half of the curry leaves and shallots; sauté till the shallots are softened and begin to take on a light golden colour.
- Add the mussels, turmeric powder and the ground coconut mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Cook till the mussels are done.
- Garnish with the remaining curry leaves and serve warm.
Check our new VFM combos for this week. Call 89390 00351 or WhatsApp to 9171072896 .
Call 89390 00351 or 9171072896 to place your order for fresh , live and exotic seafood till 3.00 pm for same day delivery and up to 9.30 pm for next day delivery. Delivery up to 4 pm daily.
All fishes, crabs are cleaned and ready to cook. Prawns are peeled and deveined.
Check availability of fishes Click here