It’s taco time!
A delicious affair with mini tortillas piled high with prawns cooked in a flavoursome Mexican style tomato sauce and topped with a sweet n’ spicy mango salsa.
For the prawns:
1. 300 gms large prawns; deshelled and deveined
2. 2-3 tbsp olive oil
3. 1 small red onion; finely chopped
4. 2 garlic cloves; crushed and chopped
5. 2 large ripe red tomatoes; finely chopped
6. 1 tbsp paprika
7. Salt, to season
8. Freshly milled black pepper, to season
9. ½ cup coriander leaves; finely chopped
For the mango salsa:
10. 1 ripe mango; cut into small cubes
11. ½ red onion; finely chopped
12. 1 large tomato; finely chopped
13. 1 jalapeno; finely chopped
14. 2 tbsp coriander leaves; finely chopped
15. Lemon juice
16. Salt, to season
17. 6 mini wheat flour tortillas
18. Coriander leaves; chopped
19. Pickled jalapenos
20. Lemon wedges
To make the prawns:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Sauté on medium heat till translucent.
2. Add the garlic and continue to sauté till the rawness of the garlic has gone away and takes on a light brown colour.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium to high heat till the tomatoes are completely broken down and turn mushy.
4. Add the paprika, mix well to combine. Then add the prawns, season with salt and pepper; mix well to combine. Cook on medium heat till the prawns are done (no extra water required; the final dish has to have a thick consistency with the sauce just coating the prawns).
5. Remove from heat, add the coriander leaves and stir through.
Note – Paprika is easily available at most supermarkets. Can be substituted with Kashmiri chilli powder though flavours are slightly different.
To make the salsa:
6. Add all the ingredients from 10 – 14 in a bowl and mash lightly with the back of a spoon. Season with salt and lemon juice.
To assemble the tacos:
7. Heat the tortillas.
8. Place a couple of prawns on top of a tortilla along with a bit of the sauce, top with mango salsa, pickled jalapenos, coriander leaves and a squirt of lime.
Note – If you find it hard to find mini tortillas, make mini sized wheat (atta) chappathis and use.