1. 600gms Sardine
2. 5-6 green chillies (adjust according to heat preference)
3. 4 garlic cloves
4. 1 inch ginger root
5. 4 small onion/shallots, sliced
6. 1 ½ cup freshly grated coconut
7. 3 sprigs curry leaves; reserve a few for garnish
8. ½ tsp turmeric powder
9. 2-3 black kokum/kudampuli
10. Salt, to season
11. 3 tbsp coconut oil
1. Remove the sardine heads and also clean out the guts. Cut the sardines in half, wash well and drain.
2. Crush the garlic, ginger and green chillies.
3. In a cooking vessel (use earthenware if you have), add the sardines and the crushed aromatics.
4. To this, add the sliced onions, curry leaves, grated coconut, turmeric powder and season with salt.
5. Wash the black kokum pieces and add to the fish. Mix well to combine. Also add the coconut oil.
6. Cook on low heat covered till the fish is done; mix occasionally in between taking care not to break the fish pieces. No extra water is required but if you find the mixture too dry, then add a few drops of water just to wet the dish.
7. When done, remove half of the kokum pieces (leave the rest inside) and garnish with remaining curry leaves. (If you leave all the kokum/kudampuli pieces inside, the dish gets too tart).
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai