1. 2 Basa fish / barracuda fillets (you can either purchase as fillets or as paste)
2. 2 large potatoes; boiled and pat dry
3. 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped
4. 1 medium onion, finely chopped
5. 1 tomato; deseeded and finely chopped
6. 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
7. ½ inch ginger root, finely chopped
8. 1 green chilli, finely chopped
9. ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
10. 1 tsp coriander powder
11. ¼ tsp garam masala
12. Salt, to season
13. Black pepper, to season
14. 2 eggs
15. 1 cup maida/white flour
16. 2 -3 cups bread crumbs
17. 2 tbsp mustard oil
18. Vegetable oil, for shallow frying the croquettes
Note – As mentioned above, the fish can be purchased as fillets or as paste. If purchasing as fillets, it has to be cut into pieces and boiled till ¾ ths done. Pat dry and crumble; keep aside. If purchasing as paste, you can directly use it for making the croquettes without having to cook it first.
1. If you are using cooked fish, then crumble it with your fingers and mash the boiled potatoes into it. If you are using fish paste, then mash the potatoes separately and keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat the mustard oil and sauté the onions till soft.
3. Once the onions have softened, add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and tomatoes; sauté for another minute or two.
4. Then add the cumin, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well and add a few spoons of water if the mixture feels too dry.
5. If you are using the fish paste, then add at this stage, season with salt and sauté on medium heat till it is ¾ th cooked and then add the mashed potatoes. If you are using cooked fish, then add the fish-potato mixture and mix well.
6. Add the coriander leaves and season with salt.
7. Continue to sauté till the mixture comes together and has no excess moisture.
8. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
9. Assemble the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in three different bowls. Beat the eggs well; season the flour and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper.
10. Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan for frying the fish croquettes
11. Shape the fish mixture into even sized balls and keep in a plate.
12. Roll one ball lightly with flour, coat in egg and then roll again in breadcrumbs till evenly coated. Do the same with all the balls. Refrigerate for about 20-30 minutes before frying in oil.
13. Deep fry the balls in oil till browned well. Drain on a kitchen towel.
14. Serve warm with tomato ketchup and salad.
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai