Adapted from ‘smor ikang’, an Indonesian style fish stew, this dish is a hearty and comforting one. A one pot meal with succulent barramundi cubes in a flavourful broth and rice noodles to accompany. The key spice in this stew is mace, which lends a pungent yet sweet flavour that pairs well with the fish. You may also add a mix of seafood like squid, prawns etc….
Indonesian style Spicy Braised Fish Stew Recipe
- 3 barramundi fillets; cut into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes; cut into small cubes
- 5-6 Asian shallots/small onion; finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves; grated
- 1 inch ginger; grated
- 2 long red chillies (less heat variety); finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300ml fish stock/water
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes; finely chopped
- 3 mace blades; crushed
- 3 cloves
- 2 -3 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt, to season
- 200 gms rice noodles; cooked as per packet instructions
- 1 cucumber; sliced
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Lemon wedges; to serve
- 1 long red chilli; finely sliced, to serve
Note: Kecap manis or sweet soy sauce is available at most gourmet food stores and online. If not available, substitute with regular soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to balance out the flavours.
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water till ¾ ths done; drain and keep aside.
- In a food processor/grinder, blend the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies to a paste like consistency.
- In a large pan, heat oil and add the ground paste. Sauté on low heat till golden and fragrant; take care not to burn.
- Add the mace, cloves and tomatoes; sauté till the tomatoes are softened and mushy.
- Then add the stock and bring to boil; lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Next add the kecap manis and the fish cubes and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt if necessary.
- Then add the potatoes and cook till done on medium heat (add more water if the stew appears thick).
- Cook the rice noodles as per packet instructions; drain and keep aside.
- To serve, divide the fish stew into bowls. Add the noodles, sliced cucumber, coriander, lemon and chillies.
- Enjoy hot.
Check our new VFM combos for this week. Call 89390 00351 or WhatsApp to 9171072896 .
Call 89390 00351 or 9171072896 to place your order for fresh , live and exotic seafood till 3.00 pm for same day delivery and up to 9.30 pm for next day delivery. Delivery up to 4 pm daily.
All fishes, crabs are cleaned and ready to cook. Prawns are peeled and deveined.
Check availability of fishes Click here