Scallops are a delicacy, one that has to be cooked with the right sort of flavours to enhance and not overpower its taste. Grilling scallops in its shell lends a smoky flavour which when combined with the garlicky butteriness and that hint of heat from the chillies creates magic on your tastebuds.
1. 8 scallops; cleaned (with one shell each intact)
2. 1 large red chilli; sliced thinly (large ones have less heat)
3. 3 tbsp butter
4. 2 medium garlic; grated
5. 4 cherry tomatoes; halved
6. Salt, to season
7. Freshly milled black pepper; to season
8. 2 sprigs fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped
9. Lemon wedges, to serve
• Add the butter and garlic to a pan and melt on the lowest heat possible. Keep aside for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse through. Reheat if necessary before use.
• Heat the grill to smoking hot.
• Add a little garlic butter, 1-2 chillies, one half of a cherry tomato to each scallop nestled inside its shell. Season with salt and pepper; also add a few coriander leaves.
• Place on the grill and cook covered for 1-2 minutes depending on the size of the scallop. Do not overcook as the scallops turn rubbery.
• Garnish with more coriander leaves and chillies
• Serve warm with lemon wedges.