1. 1 kg Indian mackerel; gutted and cleaned
2. 1 ½ red onion; 1 finely chopped and ½ for making spice paste
3. 6 dry kashmiri chillies
4. 2 tbsp brown tamarind paste
5. 8 large garlic cloves (use more if using small ones)
6. 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
7. 1 tsp fenugreek/methi seeds
8. 3 sprigs fresh coriander leaves
9. 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into large chunks
10. 3 tbsp vegetable oil
11. Salt, to season
1. Cut each mackerel into 4 pieces including the head. Clean and keep aside.
2. Blend the kashmiri chillies, ½ onion, 1 tbsp tamarind paste, garlic, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and half of the coriander leaves into a smooth paste. Add water if necessary.
3. In a large vessel or earthenware pot, heat oil and add the chopped onions. Saute till lightly softened and the onions start to brown.
4. Then add the ground paste and sauté till the oil clears.
5. Next add the tomatoes and sauté for another minute.
6. Add water to achieve the consistency of choice (this is a semi thick gravy suitable for eating with rice). Season with salt.
7. Bring to boil, taste and add more tamarind if necessary. Then add the fish pieces.
8. Cook on high for 5 minutes and then cover and simmer till the fish pieces are cooked well and the gravy has achieved the consistency of choice.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
10. Serve warm with steamed rice. If you would like to have this curry with pav or other breads, then go for a slightly thicker gravy.
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai