An Indian interpretation of a traditional Filipino dish known as Fish Sarciado.
Traditionally, whole fried fish is used but grilling the fish is a better idea as it is a healthier cooking technique. Also to suit the Indian taste buds, the fish is first marinated with a spice blend which adds more flavour to the whole dish.
It might seem strange to pair fish and eggs together but do try it out; let your tastebuds make the decision.
1. 1 whole barramundi ( Sea bass ) (approx 800gms); cleaned, descaled and gutted
2. Marinade for fish
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 ½ tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
• 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
• 1 tsp black pepper powder
• Salt; to season
3. 2 tbsp vegetable oil
4. 2 large garlic cloves; crushed
5. 1 large onion; finely sliced
6. 3 ripe red tomatoes; finely sliced
7. 1 tbsp fish sauce
8. Freshly ground black pepper; to season
9. Salt; to season
10. 1 egg; whisked well
11. Fresh coriander leaves; chopped
12. Onion rings; to garnish
13. Lemon slices; to garnish
1. Prepare the fish by removing the scales, fins and guts. Clean well, pat dry and score lightly on both sides.
2. Make a marinade by mixing all the spices in vegetable oil. Apply this generously over the fish on both sides and keep for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat the grill on high and oil it well; when smoking hot place the fish and grill on medium heat. Turn sides only when one side has been cooked well; this helps to prevent the fish skin from sticking to the grill. Cook on the other side and remove to a platter when done.
4. In another pan, heat oil and add the garlic and onion; sauté till the onions turn translucent.
5. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook till the tomatoes have softened well.
6. Season with salt, pepper and fish sauce.
7. Mix well to combine and remove from heat. Add in the whisked egg and continue mixing. Place back on heat and cook for a few seconds till the egg mixes through but does not coagulate or scramble.
8. Remove from heat and spread the onion egg mixture over the fish.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon slices, onion rings and serve warm.