Breadcrumbs is perhaps, the most used coating for fried foods. But today, we have delicious crumbed prawns which is oven baked instead of fried and also uses desiccated coconut instead of breadcrumbs for the crunchy coating.
A flavourful and lipsmacking starter for any party!
1. 500gm prawns; shelled and deveined (retain a bit of the shell at the tail end)
2. 1 ½ cups desiccated coconut
3. Salt, to season
4. 1 egg
5. 1 tsp red chilli powder
6. ½ tsp turmeric powder
7. ¼ tsp black pepper powder
8. ½ tsp mustard powder
1. Beat the egg well with all the spice powders.
2. Add the beaten egg mixture to the prawns, season with salt and keep aside for at least 15-30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C; line an oven proof tray with baking paper.
4. Season the desiccated coconut with salt and mix well.
5. Roll each prawn in the desiccated coconut for a light and even coating. Line in the baking tray.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, remove and turn sides carefully.
7. Bake for another 8-10 minutes or till done.
8. Serve warm with sweet chilli sauce.
Note – If you do not have an oven, you can also shallow fry the prawns in a non stick pan with very less oil as the desiccated coconut releases oil.