A refreshing and delicious crab salad with a fresh and aromatic Asian style herb dressing. Serve it as a salad or as a pretty cocktail canapé on fried masala pappads.
1. 400gms white crab meat
2. 1 small Lebanese cucumber; chopped finely
3. 1 small red onion; chopped finely
4. For the dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
5 mint leaves; finely chopped
1 green chilli; chopped finely
1 tsp jaggery/palm sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
5. Salt, to season
6. ½ tbsp coriander leaves; finely chopped for garnish
7. Mini masala pappads
8. Kashmiri chilli powder; for garnish
9. Lemon slices; for garnish
Note – It is best to purchase cleaned crab meat from your fish vendor. But if you are buying whole crabs, then buy large ones and boil for a couple of minutes with salt; pick out the meat carefully ensuring that there are no shell pieces.
1. Add the finely chopped cucumber and onion to the crab meat.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients required for the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required (the measurements should only be taken as a guideline as the taste can vary according to the variety/brand of the ingredients).
3. Add ¾ ths of the dressing to the crab meat just before serving; season with salt and mix lightly. Taste and add more dressing if necessary.
4. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve immediately as a salad.
This salad can also be a gorgeous looking canapé.
• Fry mini pappads (or any other wafer), drain well on a kitchen paper. Pappads can be roasted but frying keeps it crispy for longer.
• Just before serving, arrange the pappads on a platter; spoon a little of the salad on each pappad and garnish with a pinch of Kashmiri chilli powder. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.