Meen Varuval is a delicious fish fry preparation of the Chettinad region. The common fish used are king fish or other types of oily fish. Meen Varuval, like the name, is a fried dish. But today, we have used a whole snapper and grilled it which makes it a healthier version. This is an amazing seafood preparation, perfect for the barbecue too.
1. 2 whole red snapper or white snapper ; cleaned and gutted, keeping the head
2. 3 – 3 ½ tsp red chilli powder (made by grinding dry goondu milagu)
3. 1 tsp turmeric powder
4. Salt, to season
5. 1 inch ginger
6. 4 garlic cloves
7. 1 tsp lime juice
8. 3 shallots (small onion)
9. Lemon slices, for garnish
• Clean, wash and pat dry the fish. Score the fish to allow easy penetration of the marinade.
• Blend all the ingredients from 2 – 8 to a paste like consistency (add water if required)
• Rub the marinade well all over the snapper. Keep for at least 4 hours or longer if time permits.
• Oil and heat the grill well; place the snapper on the grill and cook on both sides till done. Make sure to turn only after one side has cooked well to avoid the skin sticking onto the grill.
• Place the lemon slices on the grill and remove when done.
• Serve the snapper hot with the lemon slices.