1. 1 kg mutton bones (with a little meat attached to the bones)
2. 4 tbsp vegetable oil
3. 1 large onion, finely chopped
4. ½ tsp cumin/jeera seeds
5. 1 large tomato, finely chopped
6. 1 tsp turmeric powder
7. 2 sprigs curry leaves
8. 2 green chillies, slit
9. Salt, to season
10. 2 lemons
11. Rasam podi
12. ¼ cup coriander leaves; finely chopped
1. 2 tbsp coriander seeds
2. 5 dried red chilli (round variety); adjust to heat preferences
3. 1 tbsp black peppercorns
4. 1 tbsp toor dal
5. 2 tsp cumin seeds
6. 3 medium shallots; roughly chopped
7. 5 garlic cloves; roughly chopped
• To make the rasam podi, dry roast the coriander seeds, dried chillies and peppercorns for a few seconds; then add cumin seeds and toor dal. Cool and grind to a coarse powder in a mortar and pestle or grinder. Add the shallots and garlic and grind again till incorporated. Keep aside.
• In a large pressure cooker or deep heavybottom pan, heat oil and add the cumin seeds followed by chopped onion. When the onions turn translucent, add the curry leaves, green chillies, and turmeric powder. After a few seconds, add the tomatoes and mix well. Then add the mutton bones and stir on low heat to brown the bones (taking care not to burn).
• Pour 3 cups water and season with salt. If using pressure cooker, seal and cook for 4 whistles; after this, lower the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat, cool and then open the lid. If using a pan, then bring to a rapid boil for 10 minutes, then cook covered on low heat for 45 minutes.
• Open the lid and place the soup back on heat. Add 1-2 cups water to get desired consistency and add the prepared rasam podi. Mix well and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Then add enough lemon juice to balance the flavours (add 1 tbsp of lime juice at a time, taste and add more if necessary).
• Remove the mutton bone pieces, keeping only the rasam/soup. If you wish to, you can remove the flesh pieces off the bone and add it back to the soup.
• Serve warm garnished with fresh coriander leaves.
100+ varieties of seafood | Customised cuts | Chemical-free | Supreme quality.
Supreme Seafood Home Delivery in chennai