Today’s dish is inspired by the cuisine of Kerala. The heat in the coconut sauce balances beautifully against the sweet succulence of the crab meat. Cooking the crabs in the shell also imparts its flavour to the dish making it an extremely delicious one.
1. 3 blue swimmer crabs; cleaned and each crab cut into 4-5 pieces
2. 2 cups fresh grated coconut
3. 1 cup coconut milk
4. ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves; finely chopped
5. 1 ripe tomato; cut into cubes
6. 4-5 green chillies (adjust quantity to heat preferences)
7. 1 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
8. 4 medium garlic cloves
9. ½ inch ginger
10. 1 tsp red chilli powder
11. ½ tsp turmeric powder
12. Salt, to season
13. 4 tbsp vegetable oil
14. 1 green chilli; slit in half for garnish
15. 1 red chilli, slit in half for garnish
1. Blend grated coconut, half of the coriander leaves, tomato, green chillies, cumin, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder into a thick paste. Do not add water; if too thick add coconut milk to blend.
2. In a large pan, heat oil and then add the coconut paste; sauté on low to medium heat for 2-3 minutes and then add the crab pieces. Season with salt and cook covered for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the remaining coconut milk and cook on low heat till the crabs are done.
4. Garnish with slit chillies.