Bengali Fish Curry Recipe
- Clean the fish well. Add 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt, rub well into the fish and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish till half done. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil, fry the potatoes till almost done; remove and keep aside.
- You can use the same pan for preparing the curry (there should be around 3-4 tbsp oil to prepare the gravy so add more oil if necessary).
- Add the onion seeds followed by the onion paste, grated ginger and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes on low heat constantly stirring.
- Then add the tomatoes and green chillies; sauté till the tomatoes are broken down and mushy.
- Next add the remaining turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilli powder and sugar; mix well and continue to sauté on low heat till the oil starts appearing at the sides of the masala.
- Add 1-2 cups water depending on how much gravy you prefer, season with salt and bring to boil.
- Add the fried fish and potatoes to the gravy; cook covered on medium heat for 5 minutes or till the fish has cooked well.
- Next add the garam masala, mix well taking care not to break the fish and remove from heat.
- Serve warm with steamed rice
- 1. 500gms ladyfish; cleaned (head removed)
- 1 medium potato; cut into long wedges/strips
- 1 large onion; grind to a paste with no water
- 3-4 garlic cloves; grated
- 1 inch ginger; grated
- 1 medium ripe tomato; finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ tsp onion seeds/kalonji
- 4-5 green chillies; slit lengthwise
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt, to season
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Mustard oil – to fry the fish + make the curry
Check our new VFM combos for this week. Call 89390 00351 or WhatsApp to 9171072896 .
Call 89390 00351 or 9171072896 to place your order for fresh , live and exotic seafood till 3.00 pm for same day delivery and up to 9.30 pm for next day delivery. Delivery up to 4 pm daily.
All fishes, crabs are cleaned and ready to cook. Prawns are peeled and deveined.
Check availability of fishes Click here